A corporal work of mercy.

A corporal work of mercy.
Click on photo for this corporal work of mercy!

Tuesday 20 October 2015

Has Father Thomas J. Rosica, fluent in five languages, misquoted Pope Francis? If so, what are the implications?

During the address to the Synod on Saturday, last, October 17, Pope Francis quoted St. John Paul II, from the Encyclical Letter, Ut Unum Sint.


The speech by Pope Francis can be found on the Vatican's web page.

http://press.vatican.va/content/salastampa/en/bollettino/pubblico/2015/10/17/0794/01750.html

Nick Donnelly @protectthePope on Twitter put out the following.



In the original Italian are the Pope's words. He then quotes from the official English translation of Ut Unum Sint and then Father Thomas J. Rosica's translation of what the Pope said quoting the same document.

I asked an Italian contact to confirm the Google translation of what the Pope said and it is pretty good. He translated it as:


"I am convinced that you have in this regard a particular responsibility, above all in acknowledging the ecumenical aspiration of the majority of Christian Communities and in hearing the question that is posed to me by..."

Well, well, well.

When the quote of St. John Paul II, whom the Pope did quote, is changed from "I am fully aware as I have reaffirmed" as Bishop of Rome in 1995 to "I am convinced that you have in this regard..." it changes the whole message. It goes from a quote of something possessed by the Bishop of Rome to a command to the bishops of the world.

But that is not what Francis said!

Nor is it what St. John Paul II said or meant.

What is Father Rosica up to?

I'm sure it was only a clerical error, "I" versus "you." What's the big deal.

Just a clerical error, I'm sure.



Nota bene:

The Pope's original speech in Italian is here:

http://w2.vatican.va/content/francesco/it/speeches/2015/october/documents/papa-francesco_20151017_50-anniversario-sinodo.html

Mentre ribadisco la necessità e l'urgenza di pensare a «una conversione del papato»[30], volentieri ripeto le parole del mio predecessore il Papa Giovanni Paolo II: «Quale Vescovo di Roma so bene [...] che la comunione piena e visibile di tutte le comunità, nelle quali in virtù della fedeltà di Dio abita il suo Spirito, è il desiderio ardente di Cristo. Sono convinto di avere a questo riguardo una responsabilità particolare, soprattutto nel constatare l'aspirazione ecumenica della maggior parte delle Comunità cristiane e ascoltando la domanda che mi è rivolta di trovare una forma di esercizio del primato che, pur non rinunciando in nessun modo all'essenziale della sua missione, si apra ad una situazione nuova»[31].

While I reiterate the need and urgency to think of "a conversion of the papacy" [30], willingly repeat the words of my predecessor Pope John Paul II: "As Bishop of Rome I know [...] that the full communion and visible from all communities, in which by virtue of God's faithfulness, his Spirit dwells, is the ardent desire of Christ. I am convinced that I have a particular responsibility in this regard, above all in acknowledging the ecumenical aspirations of the majority of the Christian Communities and in heeding the request made of me to find a way of exercising the primacy which, while in no way renouncing all ' essential to its mission, is nonetheless open to a new situation "[31].

Father Rosica’s translation is:



While I reiterate the need and urgency to think of ” a conversion of the papacy,” I gladly repeat the words of my predecessor Pope John Paul II: “As Bishop of Rome I know well […] that the full and visible communion of all the communities in which, by virtue of God’s faithfulness, his Spirit dwells, is the ardent desire of Christ. I am convinced that you have in this regard a special responsibility, above all in acknowledging the ecumenical aspirations of the majority of the Christian Communities and in heeding the request made ??of me to find a form of exercise of the primacy which, while in no way renouncing what is essential to its mission, is nonetheless open to a new situation.”



No comments: