In a shameful, scandalous, and blatant betrayal of his faith, his country, and his parents, Georges and Pauline Vanier, Jean Vanier, the founder of L'Arche and internationally known Catholic humanitarian has come out in support of euthanasia.
Often exaggeratingly and ridiculously called "a living saint," Vanier was interviewed by the CBC on the matter and confirmed his views in writing to LifeSiteNews.
Jean Vanier is proof that the Catholic Church in Canada is in rapid collapse. The L'Arche Hymn will never be sung by any choir under my direction or myself again.
Jean, feel free to take the needle but remember what will come a moment later.
May God's judgement be swift.
Jean Vanier's full statement to LifeSiteNews on assisted suicide
I stand by everything that I have said. The main thing is in any case to support life and to avoid all situations of suicide that originate in a situation of depression and solitude. No Jean, it is to "avoid all situations of suicide" period!
My sister Therese, who was a palliative care doctor, has always said that 97 percent of people die fully conscious and without suffering. For the remaining 3 percent, they worked at finding a way to administer medication so that all could die without suffering. Nobody needs to suffer unnecessarily. Palliative care is what is needed, as you advocate. Sometimes, those drugs administered to ease pain, may hasten death as a secondary effect.
If the correct sedative or medication has not been found one cannot oblige someone to live through an unrelenting agony. But one cannot advocate that in the absence of that "sedative or medication" one can administer a drug to "kill" the patient. Why are you not abundantly clear on this?
One must not take part of a series of remarks and take them out of context. The most important thing is to accompany people with a competent doctor and above all if possible involved in palliative care. What is the context of your remarks? It seems pretty clear.
Pope Francis continues to tell us that everything cannot be regulated by a law and there are always exceptions. So, you join the Pope in celebrating ambiguity? "Let your yes be yes and your no be no!"