Friday, 21 August 2020

Nino Cavoto a Toronto Priest accused of sexual predation from time in New York! UPDATE: FACULTIES RESTORED IN AUGUST 2024



T
here is some very sad news to report from Toronto.


Nino Cavoto, the Pastor of Our Lady of Sorrows of the Holy Moly Doors and former Salesian priest in the Archdiocese of New York has been removed from ministry. The Archdiocese of Toronto received information that allegations have been in New York that Cavoto sexually abused a minor whilst there between 1979 and 1983. Cavoto is, of course, entitled to his defense and due process. There is no indication, at this point, that Cavoto engaged in any abusive behaviour with a minor in Toronto. 



Sometime after Summorum Pontificum, a rather nasty comment about it appeared in the church bulletin there. It was sent to me, and I wrote a post on it. Nino didn't appreciate it and would have known that I was involved in church music at the time. He clearly applied some pressure, and I was "asked" to remove the post. Nino caused controversy when he removed the original crucifix preserved on the reredos, replacing it with a rather beautiful but unnecessary icon of Christ Pantocrator. It's not as if the church lacked colour or mosaic. An action that upset the artistic symmetry of the original design. He went further when the beautiful oak doors were replaced by a bronze monstrosity at over $400,000,00 with an engraved spelling mistake. Why are these important? Because of the narcissism they reveal. 

It is interesting that the accusations should come forty years later. It reveals that it often takes this long for a victim to deal with the crimes but also reflects the changes in statutes of limitation. 

Where there is smoke, there is not always incense; sometimes it is fire. The Toronto "A-Team" just lost one of their own. 

All of this is so very, very sad, for the victims of these "alleged" perverts, and for the effect on evangelization and the beautiful truth of the Catholic faith, so destroyed by the infiltration of those who came in to use their power for their own selfish and demonic desires.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vox, I just saw this and having been in the SSPX , I agree 100%

https://www.churchmilitant.com/video/episode/vortex-eternal-rome

Vox Cantoris said...

I have written before on the abuse crisis and sodomites embedded in the SSPX. I have done this while remaining friends with those in Toronto. I believe they appreciate my balance and I have said to them; “A pervert’s a pervert no matter how Trad.”

Anonymous said...

Absolutely right ,Vox!

We also experienced the cult mindset . The mothers of boys at the sspx chapel vied with each other while whispering in their son's ears in the basement after Mass prodding them to garner the priest's attention towards them.
What these pathetic moms had no idea about, was that the priest was himself a homosexual. They would do anything to get their boys in his Commando group.Meanwhile the young men in their late twenties knew what this particular priest's sexual orientation was all about because one of them was in the seminary with him where they ALL knew.
God help the one woman who piled her children into Suburban and drove across country to the sspx owned monastery where same priest ran once he was confronted at two chapels by parents for risking the lives of their pre teen sons on a hazardous mountain climb where they got lost , suffered hypothermia and literally had to be rescued........
Yes in tears this woman and her son begged the priest to return from the monastery out West, while her husband and others back home marveled at her infatuation and stupidity. So very sad.They ended up in divorce.

Badcatholic said...

For anyone proved to have committed even one of these heinous and disgusting acts time should be no bar to punishment. However, I will observe, based on prosecutorial experience, that these perverts seldom do an act thirty or forty years ago and quit. It makes one cautious. Perhaps there are more recent victims to come forth. All you can count on is that if they are truly guilty, they didn’t do it once and quit.

Anonymous said...

What really confuses me is how can the "Faithful" priests do and say nothing knowing well who and what is in their ranks ?
Do they not believe in a singular judgement prior to the general judgement? What will they say to Our Lord? "I kept my mouth shut in order not to cause more scandal." Then they will be shown how many more suffered abuse because they did ,"...not want to cause more scandal."

Unknown said...

What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

Anonymous said...

Unknown,The problem is that the
"innocent until proven guilty" in these sort of crimes KNOW their victims will not process the true nature of the crimes perpetrated upon them until many years past the Statute of Limitations.
Hence, most of the perps remain 'innocent' in the eyes of the law and their superiors , because they cannot be proven guilty.

Charity Joy (Gabrielle) said...

I agree. Shame on you all for so harshly judging before anything is proven. Innocent until proven guilty is our tradition. God have mercy!

Anonymous said...

Interesting article.......Nino Cavoto was pastor of St James Parish Colgan, Ontario for for some time during the late 1980s and early 90s. He was clearly out of place there. I always felt that while he spoke well, it was never from the heart. He was not nice to the altar boys and he repeatedly spoke in an abusive way to a friend of mine, who is an immigrant. He seemed distant when you spoke with him and he was rude to many people. He also spent parish money frivolously and inappropriately considering that the parish was not wealthy. I always felt that he was trying to cover up his personal pain with an artificial, calm. He needs prayers as do his alleged victims.

Joe Pereira said...

Let me just say this right off the bat. I spent four years with him when he was getting trained to be a Salesian priest. He was at the time in his late teens and early 20s. We had long conversations about life as we knew it then: the priesthood, our life dreams, the daily grind of college, obnoxious philosophy professors, and, of course, the not-always-pleasant rules associated with monastic life. We were, as you may guess, classmates. We prayed in the same chapel, ate in the same dining hall, wrote our term papers in the same study hall, sang in the same choir, and laughed at each other on the softball field, basketball court and a scattering of frozen lakes in northern New Jersey in the dead of winter. I can tell you this. Nino, as I knew him then, was a better person than I was -- more ready to sacrifice his life and willing to follow the Lord. He went on to ordination. I left years before. We can all change, of course. But I'll add this: having been in touch with several priests, who like Father Cavoto, have been accused of abusive conduct, I can say please withhold judgement until a judge brings down the gavel. I know of more priests who have been wrongly accused than justly so. Unfortunately for the acquitted, the damage is irreversible.

Laura Rossi said...

I have just seen the allegations against Father Cavoto and I am mortified by those who have disparage his name. Father.Cavoto has dedicated over 50 years of his life to God and the church. He has helped hundreds of people in need I am pained that’s so few have stepped up to support him . In his youth., Father Cavoto was the most popular, smartest, handsomest and well-rounded person.He would have thrived on any path he chose. He did not enter the church to hide or because he had problems but because he loved the church and he loved God.. I do not believe these allegations stand by him now.

Vox Cantoris said...

I believe a year ago, it was deemed , “not credible.” The damage has been done.

Laura Rossi said...

If as you say, these allegations were deemed not credible a year ago why are these posts still up? If he has been proven innocent.His reputation has been ruined He has been forced to retire from the priesthood and give up his life‘s work. Why are people still allowed to make disgusting comments if it is known to be untrue I would not know anything about this if these disparaging statements had been removed. It has personally caused me pain and grief to have to deal with this situation. I sincerely hope it has been resolved in his favor and he can try once again to live his life in peace. I hope he has a circle of support because so much damage has been done.

Vox Cantoris said...

Laura, I had forgotten about the post. I have updated it to show the release from the Archdiocese of Toronto in August 2024 regarding the restoration of his faculties. The former post remains. This is public information that resides elsewhere on the Internet. I will not delete it. I have updated it. As for the comments, I don't see where they are disgusting. In fact, one comment is quite positive. I see no reason to remove them.

As for the ridiculous doors (with a spelling mistake) replacing the beautiful Lombardy style oak and his disgusting comments about the liturgy he was raised in his words and actions there convict him of poor judgement, ignorance, clericalism and pastoral insensitivity.

Thank you for bringing this to my recollection and attention.