A corporal work of mercy.

A corporal work of mercy.
Click on photo for this corporal work of mercy!

Wednesday 17 February 2021

Gregorio Allegri: Miserere


Psalm 50 [1] Unto the end, a psalm of David, 2 When Nathan the prophet came to him after he had sinned with Bethsabee.

50:3 Have mercy on me, O God, * according to thy great mercy.

50:3 And according to the multitude of thy tender mercies * blot out my iniquity.

50:4 Wash me yet more from my iniquity, * and cleanse me from my sin.

50:5 For I know my iniquity, * and my sin is always before me.

50:6 To thee only have I sinned, and have done evil before thee: * that thou mayst be justified in thy words, and mayst overcome when thou art judged.

50:7 For behold I was conceived in iniquities; * and in sins did my mother conceive me.

50:8 For behold thou hast loved truth: * the uncertain and hidden things of thy wisdom thou hast made manifest to me.

50:9 Thou shalt sprinkle me with hyssop, and I shall be cleansed: * thou shalt wash me, and I shall be made whiter than snow.

50:10 To my hearing thou shalt give joy and gladness: * and the bones that have been humbled shall rejoice.

50:11 Turn away thy face from my sins, * and blot out all my iniquities.

50:12 Create a clean heart in me, O God: * and renew a right spirit within my bowels.

50:13 Cast me not away from thy face; * and take not thy holy spirit from me.

50:14 Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation, * and strengthen me with a perfect spirit.

50:15 I will teach the unjust thy ways: * and the wicked shall be converted to thee.

50:16 Deliver me from blood, O God, thou God of my salvation: * and my tongue shall extol thy justice.

50:17 O Lord, thou wilt open my lips: * and my mouth shall declare thy praise.

50:18 For if thou hadst desired sacrifice, I would indeed have given it: * with burnt offerings thou wilt not be delighted.

50:19 A sacrifice to God is an afflicted spirit: * a contrite and humbled heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

50:20 Deal favourably, O Lord, in thy good will with Sion; * that the walls of Jerusalem may be built up.

50:21 Then shalt thou accept the sacrifice of justice, oblations and whole burnt offerings: * then shall they lay calves upon thy altar.

V. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, * and to the Holy Ghost.

R. As it was in the beginning, is now, * and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.50:3

 

Miserére mei, Deus, * secúndum magnam misericórdiam tuam.

50:3 Et secúndum multitúdinem miseratiónum tuárum, * dele iniquitátem meam.

50:4 Ámplius lava me ab iniquitáte mea: * et a peccáto meo munda me.

50:5 Quóniam iniquitátem meam ego cognósco: * et peccátum meum contra me est semper.

50:6 Tibi soli peccávi, et malum coram te feci: * ut justificéris in sermónibus tuis, et vincas cum judicáris.

50:7 Ecce enim, in iniquitátibus concéptus sum: * et in peccátis concépit me mater mea.

50:8 Ecce enim, veritátem dilexísti: * incérta et occúlta sapiéntiæ tuæ manifestásti mihi.

50:9 Aspérges me hyssópo, et mundábor: * lavábis me, et super nivem dealbábor.

50:10 Audítui meo dabis gáudium et lætítiam: * et exsultábunt ossa humiliáta.

50:11 Avérte fáciem tuam a peccátis meis: * et omnes iniquitátes meas dele.

50:12 Cor mundum crea in me, Deus: * et spíritum rectum ínnova in viscéribus meis.

50:13 Ne proícias me a fácie tua: * et spíritum sanctum tuum ne áuferas a me.

50:14 Redde mihi lætítiam salutáris tui: * et spíritu principáli confírma me.

50:15 Docébo iníquos vias tuas: * et ímpii ad te converténtur.

50:16 Líbera me de sanguínibus, Deus, Deus salútis meæ: * et exsultábit lingua mea justítiam tuam.

50:17 Dómine, lábia mea apéries: * et os meum annuntiábit laudem tuam.

50:18 Quóniam si voluísses sacrifícium, dedíssem útique: * holocáustis non delectáberis.

50:19 Sacrifícium Deo spíritus contribulátus: * cor contrítum, et humiliátum, Deus, non despícies.

50:20 Benígne fac, Dómine, in bona voluntáte tua Sion: * ut ædificéntur muri Jerúsalem.

50:21 Tunc acceptábis sacrifícium justítiæ, oblatiónes, et holocáusta: * tunc impónent super altáre tuum vítulos.

V. Glória Patri, et Fílio, * et Spirítui Sancto.

R. Sicut erat in princípio, et nunc, et semper, * et in sǽcula sæculórum. Amen.


 For more on the Allegri Miserere...


No comments: