A corporal work of mercy.

A corporal work of mercy.
Click on photo for this corporal work of mercy!

Thursday 24 February 2011

Roman Missal for Canada: Still waiting...

Lest I be accused by any diocesan authorities of being a "conspiracy theorist" I've now had it confirmed by another source that the delay in the Recognitio from Rome for the corrected translation of the Roman Missal (2000) in Canada is the universal posture.

If you are unfamiliar with this topic, click on the Roman Missal medallion on the left to take you to the series of articles. You will also find there the email addresses of Canada's bishops.

I will not, as demanded on another blog, reveal my sources, suffice to say that they are from within the clergy and the laity.

If the Recognitio is not granted soon, then the printing process will be greatly in peril for the beginning of Advent. The responsibility for this will lie with the bureaucrats at the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops. They can proffer that they have "asked for nothing out of the ordinary" but that simply makes no sense. If they did not, then Rome would not be taking so long.

The calendar and differing dates for feasts between Canada and the United States is also an issue, two being Canadian/North American Martyrs and Blessed Kateri Tekakwitha as an example.

This is no place for Canadian nationalism or Quebecois episcopal posture preference dictates to the rest of Canada.

My prediction?

Meetings are being held now in Rome with CCCB officials; Rome will rule and it won't be in favour of what was submitted.

Now, get on with it!

1 comment:

JP said...

I am intrigued.

I got a 'clear as mud' answer from the CCCB on this myself.

SO frustrating.

I've been told "Advent 2011", "Advent 2012", and "early 2012".

Go figure. I am thinking of a new version of the joke that was going around when we were waiting on the motu proprio regarding the Extraordinary Form: the first thing the Canadian asks when he wakes up from his 25 year coma is "Do we have the new Roman Missal yet?"

BTW...I suspect your suspicions on the delay may be correct.